The Catholic Parish of
Saint John Henry Newman

 Covering most of East Leeds

Parish Pastoral Council for Blessed John Henry Newman 18th January 2018

Read 603 Times
The meeting started with a Prayer prepared by Sheila Kennedy
Apologies: Fr G, Angela Perea, Deacon Sean, Sheila Kennedy
Fr Pat opened the meeting as chairperson following the previous chair stepping down after completing her term of office.

Fr Pat welcomed the new members and all present introduced themselves. Fr Pat thanked everyone for their time as a PPC member.

Fr Pat gave out a leaflet to all present which outlined "What is the Parish Pastoral Council" AND "What is the Parish Pastoral Council is NOT" - "What is the Parish Pastoral Council should focus on?" After reading the document all agreed with its contents.

Fr Pat then asked for someone to come forward as PPC Chair person. Ben Science offered to take on the role. Vice chairperson - Sharon Smith offered to taken on the role. Everyone voted to except Ben as Chair and all agreed Sharon should take the role as Deputy.

Ben took over the meeting as the new chairperson.

Minutes from previous meeting were read and approved.

Youth & Family Ministry
  • Ben has spoken with Paddy Bradley and things are moving ahead. More details next meeting
  • Faith in Action - described as a religious Duke of Edinburgh award scheme' - at a recent meeting within the parish many groups were present. This will be something which the parish can take forward. Alison reported that this is now being talked about at school so things could move forward with offers of help from the young parishioners.
  • BGT Big Get Together 2018 Ben & Alison will start to organise this event. Attendance in 2017 was about the same as previous year. Parish groups were represented. Consideration of a theme will be discussed and how we can get more there. Consultation with Paddy Bradley.
  • Family Groups video to be shown at the Corpus Christi Tea & Coffee morning on the 25th February.
    This is a scheme for families to get together socially to get to know more people of all ages with in the parish.

Refugees Crisis meeting in the Parish - Night shelter 15th - 22nd January

  • Night Shelter. 20 parishioners helped with this service to the homeless.
  • Sr. Nora reported the people who stayed over were lovely people and they were very grateful for what was
    available for them.
  • Taking this forward it has been asked if we as a parish would consider hosting another event. It is being
    considered to role this out for the whole year not just in the winter. A report on how this current scheme
    has worked will be given later. It was suggested it should stay ecumenical not just the Catholics.
  • If we were to hold the event premises would have to be considered so that a safe environment could be provided for all.
  • Meeting at Hinsley Hall on the 31st January.
  • Possibility of a link to the One World.


  • A retreat DVD on "Let it be done unto me" - How Mary helps us to be filled with God. This will be on the 5 Monday's in Lent starting 19th February.
  • Stations of the Cross will be before morning Mass during the week in St Gregory's & Corpus Christi and also on a Friday evening at St Theresa's.
  • One Friday after the Stations of Cross at St Theresa's Reader & Eucharistic Minister will be asked to attend a half an hour of prayer.

Sacramental Celebration:

  • Year 7 & 8 ages 11 - 13 years of age will be confirmed on the 27th April this year. Fr Pat will celebrate the Sacrament.
  • Enrolment will be in January 2018
  • Year 6 & 7 will prepare for Confirmation in the autumn.
  • Year 5 & 6 will prepare in the next school year.

First Reconciliation
  • Year 3 will make their First Confession in March this year following preparation on the next few weeks.
    These children will be enrolled on 20th & 21st January at Mass in the parish.

First Holy Communion
  • None this year 2018.

Adoremus National Eucharistic Pilgrimage & Congress September 2018

  • This will take place on the 7th - 9th September 2018 in Liverpool.
  • 7 places have been allocated for the parish. Representatives will be chosen from each of our churches.
  • Preparation material has started to appear in the various suppliers' catalogues but not year available for parish workshops.
  • People in the parish should be prepared before the event when the materials are available. The theme is "How Holy is the event"
  • Fr Peter Kravos and Fr Sean Crawley in the Diocese are dealing with this for the Diocese of Leeds.

Angela arrived before the end of the meeting due to parents evening at school. All were able to meet her and introduce themselves.


  • A book was introduced by Carol Daley titles "The art of accompaniment". Conversions within the parish for people to include them. The opportunity to discus in small groups. Action point for next agenda.
  • When an item is sent for the PPC agenda the person's name MUST be included. This will allow the PPC to respond to the person. This can be by email or in writing direct to any member of the PPC or to the admin office no later than 2 days before the meeting.
  • Discussion about the best day of the week for the PPC to meet took place and it was agreed to move to Tuesday in March and see how members can fit this into their personal lives.

The meeting closed with a prayer at 8.15pm
Prayers for the next meeting will be prepared by Carol Daley
Next Meeting of the Parish Pastoral Council - Tuesday 13th March then consider again the day.

Published Sat 3rd Feb 2018 16:53:20
Last Modified on Sat 3rd Feb 2018 16:56:26

Share This Page