Parish Pastoral Council for Blessed John Henry Newman 19th October 2017
Read 369 Times
The meeting started with a Prayer prepared by Alison Armitage
Fr G, Lisa Valentine-Jonsson, Ben Science & Philip Dyson
Minutes from previous meeting along (with the amendment made by Fr Pat after the meeting) were read and approved.
Matters arising from the minutes:
Defibrillator in the Parish Centre. To be installed into the Newman Centre on Wednesday 25th October at 3pm and training will be given from 3.30pm. The rental cost is £1.10 per week. This includes pads for adults and children.
Youth & Family Ministry
- Due to Ben's absence there was no update.
50th Anniversary of the Abortion Act 1967.
- Holy Hour on Thursday at St Gregory's at 6.15pm.
- 9.30am Mass at St Gregory's Church on Friday 27th October followed by Holy Hour before the Blessed
- Leeds Diocesan Vigil of Prayer at St Anne's Cathedral starting with Mass at 5.30pm followed at 6.15pm Vigil
Refugees Crisis meeting in the Parish:
- To celebrate One World Week which is 22nd - 29th October.
- On the 28th October there will be a Mass at 5.30pm at St Theresa's followed by a Multicultural Shared Meal in the Parish centre.
- The subcommittee of Sheelagh, Philip, Alison & Ben met and a further open meeting has been held. This included a choir practice.
- The Mass is being organised and many are asked to be involved.
- The different nationalities will process in the offertory procession with their national flags.
- The 6.30pm Mass at St Gregory's will go ahead and those who have commitments to open/close the church have expressed their sadness that they will not be able to attend the One World Week Mass.
Parish AGM Saturday 23rd September
- Not well attended. Open to everyone.
- Have tried different formats in previous years for the AGM but again these were not well attended. One suggestion was to hold the AGM in the summer months.
- No attendance from the groups who attended the Big Get Together.
- Offer different times and venues and see what people choose as the favourite.
- A positive feeling at the meeting and those present interacted with the agenda.
- Low response to the groups submitting their reports.
- A copy of the notes from the AGM to be on the 3 church notice boards.
Diocesan Pilgrimage to Ripon Wednesday 18th October.
- 17 people left on the arranged bus; some made their own way. Overall there were about 24 people from the parish. St Theresa's and Corpus Christi primary schools were also in attendance. The Cathedral was full to standing room only. Canon Swinglehurst celebrated the Mass and Monsignor Fisher preached. Some people walked to Fountains Abby and some went to St Wilfrid's to exposition of the Blessed Sacrament. The idea of having it midweek was so that the schools could attend. Parishioners met Monsignor Philip Holroyd who is doing well but is very poorly and he asked for our prayers.
PPC Members to consider their future:
- The term of office is years with a possibility of a further 3 years if you wish. ONLY 2 CONSECUTIVE
TERMS CAN BE SERVED.
- Josephine Abbey-Philip is happy to stand again while Lisa Valentine-Jonson has asked to not stand again. Sheelagh Pickles second term of office will be completed and therefore she must step down. Philip Dyson has asked to step down this time.
- Nominees to be asked to come forward via the bulletin in October.
Sacramental Celebration follows up - What happens next?
- Letters have gone out to the parents of the children in year 3 at both our primary school. This invites them to a meeting about the changes to the Sacraments starting in 2018.
- 2018 there will be 2 sessions for the Sacrament of Confirmations - Year 6 & Year 7 & 8
- 2018 Sacrament of Reconciliation YEAR 3
- 2018 NO FIRST HOLY COMMUNION
- 2019 Sacrament of First Holy Communion YEAR 4
- 2020 Sacrament of Confirmation YEAR 6
- All preparation will be parish based with the help of the schools outside of the school curriculum.
- It is hoped that from Year 7 onwards in the high schools will be a time to build the young people's faith
November Month of Remembrance
- Memorial Masses 19th November Letters have gone out to the next of kin of all those who have been buried by one of our priests.
- Killingbeck Cemetery visit 12th November this will take place at 2.30pm.
- Sunday 12th November Remembrance Sunday - The Uniform groups will parade at the 10.15am Mass at St Theresa's
Adoremus National Eucharistic Pilgrimage & Congress September 2018
- The congress will take place in Liverpool over 3 days in September 2018.
- 7 places have been allocated. Representatives will be chosen from each of our churches.
Advent & Christmas
- Advent at Home leaflet available from Sunday 26th November
- Churches Together Advent Service 3rd December at St Mary's Whitkirk at 5pm
- Parish Christmas cards & Posters to be available from 3rd December & 10th December
- Carol Service 10th December at St Theresa's Church at 3.00pm followed by refreshments at 4pm
- Prepare the way for Christs birth - set up the Crib:
3rd December - Set up the stable ONLY
10th December - Add an animal
17th December - Add the remaining animals
24th December - Add Mary & Joseph
Christmas Eve Masses add the infant Christ
Reconciliation Service - 19th December at Corpus Christi at 7pm
Live Crib at Corpus Christi - Saturday 23rd December at 2pm - further details to follow
NO EVENING MASSES
|Weekend Masses||23rd December (Saturday) As normal times|
|24th December (Sunday morning) As normal times|
Christmas Vigil Masses do not fulfil Sunday obligations
Sunday Masses do not fulfil Christmas Day obligation
|24th December||Family Mass||Corpus Christi||5.00pm - PW|
|Saturday||Family Mass||St Gregory's||5.30pm - MH|
|Carols - Midnight Mass||St Theresa's||11.30pm - All|
|25th December||St Theresa's||8.15am - GG|
|Monday||St Gregory's||9.15am - MH|
|St Theresa's||10.15am - GG||Corpus Christi 10.30am - PW|
|NO EVENING MASS|
A letter has been received from a parishioner about her dismay that we are holding a celebration Mass on the 28th October for One World week. The parishioner thinks that the whole weekend should be devoted to the commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the 1967 Abortion Act. The PPC chairperson read the instructions issued by the Bishop of Leeds in November 2016 along with other more recent instructions issued by the Bishops of England and Wales in May 2017 and by Bishop Marcus Stock in September 2017 which asked for a Prayer Vigil to be held in each parish on or as near as possible to Friday 27th October. The PPC agreed that this parish is fulfilling the Bishop's request as stated earlier in these minutes.
The meeting closed with a prayer at 8.00pm
Prayers for the next meeting will be prepared by Sheelagh Pickles
Next Meeting of the Parish Pastoral Council - 30th November
Published Fri 3rd Nov 2017 12:40:15
Last Modified on Fri 3rd Nov 2017 12:42:46