Down Memory Lane
Read 567 Times
Originally called Manston Lane, the road was developed with housing from the turn of the century. In the picture some of the houses have still to be converted into shops and the small walled gardens with railings were removed on the conversions, hence the wider pavement today.
The buildings on the right-hand corner remains a bank; notice the gas lamp with an arrowed sign â€˜LNER Station CrossGates'. On the opposite corner is the old Traveller's Rest inn. This was the second inn on the site, the first was built in 1835, the year after the railway was opened.
Submitted by Betty Ryan
Published Thu 20th Jul 2017 11:55:56
Last Modified on Thu 20th Jul 2017 11:55:56