The Story of Corpus Christi Parish
Read 4759 Times
The present Church was opened in 1962. In his introduction written for the brochure celebrating the event Bishop George Dwyer wrote "A great day for the whole Diocese of Leeds. We have, at last, a truly magnificent Church dedicated to the Blessed Sacrament which will bear comparison with any in the country."
The parish was founded from Mount St. Mary‘s in 1932 in the care of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. A school had been built, and the first Church was an army hut from the 1914-18 war which was re-erected here for the celebration of Mass. The young and vigorous growing parish was soon in need of a more substantial building. A new spacious wooden building was put up adjacent to the present-day presbytery. But it was reduced to ruins in the early 1950‘s by a disastrous fire. The local community rallied round to help in the restoration of the Church. Spontaneous and generous support came from neighbouring parishes, and from unexpected quarters, local non-Catholic clergy and organisations, as well as local businesses and the Jewish community in Leeds.
Work began in the 1960‘s on a permanent Church for the parish and the results can be seen today in our beautiful Church building.
The community is deeply grateful to the Oblates of Mary Immaculate who worked so hard to make Corpus Christi what it is today. In 2008 responsibility for the parish was transferred to the Bishop of Leeds. We now look forward to being part of Blessed John Henry Newman Parish for many years to come.
Published Tue 29th Nov 2011 10:09:19